As India tries to stay afloat amidst the ‘second wave’ of the pandemic, our poor and vulnerable elderly face the highest risk. Countless have lost their lives, many have comorbidities and are physically frail with chronic conditions. At such a time, it is critical that they get vaccinated immediately and safeguard themselves from the fatality of this deadly disease.
Many disadvantaged elders are starving due to loss of their livelihood and demand for food and basic essentials is rapidly rising. The elderly and their families are marginalized, amongst the worst affected and are simply struggling to survive.
As the pandemic makes inroads deeper into rural India, we are taking measures to ensure that the poor elderly & their families are vaccinated and have food to eat, so they can maintain their nutrition and immunity levels. The aim is to reduce their risk levels & susceptibility to the Covid 19 virus, so they can lead healthy and dignified lives.
HelpAge India is working across the nation, to assist and support local administrations in facilitating the government’s vaccination drive and providing relief and ration to disadvantaged elders and their communities through its various program interventions.
Based on the need assessment on-ground, here below are some of HelpAge India’s interventions:
- Survival Kits providing basic ration & essential items to poor elders and their family. The kit includes items like rice, wheat, spices, cooking oil, soap, detergent along with Immunity boosters such as Zincovit, Vitamin C and Basic Screening Tools such as Finger Pulse Oximeter & infrared Thermometer.
- Corona Protection Hygiene Kits which include soaps, detergents, high quality reusable face masks.
- Vaccination Facilitation of elder beneficiaries from HelpAge supported Elder-Self-Help-Groups, Mobile Healthcare program and Senior Citizens Association members. This includes vaccination awareness drives, helping elders with the registration process & transportation of elders to vaccination centers.
- Online Digital Literacy Training Workshops for Vaccine registration for elders and tackling misinformation.
- Essential Medical support through its vast national network of 170 plus Mobile Healthcare Units, providing free medicines & treatment, to poor elders & their community in rural areas and slums. This is critical, as most elders are chronic patients suffering from hyper tension, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis etc, and cannot afford to pay for their medicines, many are physically frail or bed-ridden, and cannot walk to the nearest hospital or PHC. These MHUs provide free medicines and treatment virtually to the doorstep.
- HelpAge’s National Elders Helpline (1800-180-1253) active across 21 states in India, is providing much needed assistance to elders in need, those abandoned on streets, in need of medication, shelter, hospitalization and other support during this time.
- HelpAge Old Age Homes – residents are being provided basic essentials, food, medical aid and help with vaccination during this time, constant health check-ups are conducted to ensure their safety.
The need on-ground is immense. Your contribution can help an elder survive and bring hope during this uncertain time.
HELPAGE INDIA COVID 19 RELIEF RESPONSE
HelpAge India is working in 125 districts spread across 25 states in India. It has till now reached out to over 10 lakh elders and their families, destitute & homeless persons and migrants across India, through it’s various relief
initiatives during the COVID 19 pandemic.
- 60,000 Family Survival Kits distributed benefiting 3,00,000 poor
elderly and their families.
- 10,000 Nutritional Kits distributed for 50,000 disadvantaged
- 1,20,000 poor elderly & their families received Hygiene Kits
equipped with soaps, sanitizers, hand wash etc.
- 2,00,000 free cooked meals distributed amongst needy elders,
migrant workers, homeless and destitute.
- 5,00,000 lakh disadvantaged elders & their community supported
with medicines and provided primary care.
- 30,000 poor rural elderly supported through cash transfers.
- Nearly 5000 elder beneficiaries residing in over 120 old age homes
across India received heath and ration support.
- 50,000 elders reached out to, through calls and delivery of
essential items and medicines at their door steps, through the
HelpAge Elder Helpline (1800-180-1253) across 21 states.